Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Possibility



I was afraid to hope
But I did it anyways.
You were the one I gave my heart to,
A piece of me is always yours
The way a piece of stardust
Will always belong to the infinite universe.

I’m still going to talk;
Still going to hold you in reverence.
My dreams were you
And now I’m going to fold them up
Like worn love letters
Into a heart-shaped box enclosed by ribs.

I’m going to give someone
That makes me feel like a princess of the fae
A chance.
He’s of a different sort than you
I feel it in my bones,
And even though I miss you,
I’m not going to pass up the possibility
Of an alternate future,
When there’s someone I feel for
Who adores me
And who is always there.

This is a new opportunity for me,
And I’m grasping straws these days
For things to keep me here,
So yeah, I hoped for us
And for the most part
I’ve given up on anything
But sporadic friendship.
Now, I’m afraid to not hope
That there may be something out there for me
To at least want my body
With all that goes with it:
The heart,
The mind,
The soul,
The woman inside…
To want all of it, enough to give
The terminology of “us”
A try.