Saturday, August 3, 2013

The Saturday Six (Ten)



This week, it’s been hard for me to focus on any positives, due to an infection in regards to one of my wisdom teeth that I’ve been dealing with, so I’ve been hermit-ing it up.

  1. For the moments that I’ve had somewhat of a voice, or been able to rest it, I’ve been grateful.  Been wondering what I should do if I should lose it completely, due to the fact that I no longer have my handy-dandy wipe board from my college days because it’s packed away in the upstairs of our barn.  Those things were handy when I’d lose my voice in high school, but…when you have a three-year-old nephew running around expecting you to talk, what are you supposed to do?

    I did get to the dentist, which means I’m on meds now and already a few days later am starting to get better.  I’m pretty sure, if able, at some point, I want these suckers out.

  2. Monday, my parents were barely home, which was nice as I was able to have space, but that time was spent on the phone for three hours with loan people: the good news though, is that I figured out how to pay off some of my loans during grace before they accrued more interest. Any stressors I can get rid of, I will when I have the capability to do so.

    I managed to send in pay offs luckily, and have significantly decreased my funds, but even if it drains me a good percentage now, it will save me a lot more money in the end.

    So…, if you know a bit about me, you know that I don’t always see eye-to-eye with my father, and we often drive each other to our wits end.  That said, I still love him, and I know he still loves me, and small things, such as him coming home all the way from Avon just to bring me a homemade root beer from Tom Wahl’s is such a fact.  The first bad day to what turned into an awful week, and he does that.  It made me smile in my miserable state. Note: even if I’m sick of soda and want to step away from it, I’ll take homemade root beer any time.

  3. I’ve finished reading Anastasia’s Secret by Susanne Dunlap finally. I liked the book, but it was a slow read, and heavens help me does slow reading sometimesannoy me.  I’ve become slower at reading during my college days, perhaps because I used to have to read so much a week for all my classes, that now my mind says to slow down.  I miss the days that I could breeze through an eight-hundred page novel in a day, ignoring everything else in the world and being able to recall everything months later!  Those were the days of glory, haha.  I did recently start reading Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl this week though.  I had thought the movie looked interesting, but have been told that it wasn’t all it was cracked up to be (doesn’t mean that I won’t give it a chance), but due to multiple friends’ personal libraries, I plan to read the books.  So far, I am digging the first one.

    I’m also still reading Frozen Past on my Kindle app by Richard C. Hale.  It’s good, but having a book on a computer is not the same as having a book in my own two hands.  Honestly, I’m starting to warm up to the idea of those little gadgets and becoming friends with the idea of owning one, so that I don’t have the backlighting that my laptop does.  And because I can curl up in a comfy seat or go for a ride to read one of the books that I’ve downloaded to read or research from, instead of sitting here, Indian style, with a lap desk to read, and eventually go cross-eyed. Honestly, it seams I can stare at a screen longer if I am writing or watching something, compared to staring at words.  I love to read, but unlike many things, I still am a traditionalist in reading.  The fact that friends and this are making the idea of owning a Kindle of my own more reasonable than two years ago, is something.  I’m slowly cozying up to this, yes, step back in shock.

    I realize I ramble whenever it comes to reading and things such as that, but let’s hope I don’t get caught in the spiral of how much things cost. My mind does that often since I had neared the end of college. So…if you ever think of getting me a gift, books are a good idea, or perhaps a cheap, working Kindle (that, may I mention, has a light, because I tried reading in bed with a flashlight which I haven’t done since high school days, and it’s a pain in the ass).  Music and movies are always pretty, too. As is weapons.  Then I have things to keep me occupied when I eventually have my own place and am not at whatever place I work.  The weapons wouldn’t keep me occupied, but I love shiny beautiful things such as those.  They’re inspiring, and here I am rambling again.  This is what happens due to me having very little talking ability all week, and being under the weather, sorry all!
     
  4. Saturday of last week, I went to my friend Britt’s parents’ house, where she had a graduation from college/moving party.  She’s moving to South Carolina, and even though we haven’t been super tight the past few years due to school and jobs and living in different cities, I’m still going to miss her. She has always been a great person, ever since I met her when we were in the sixth grade.  I wish her safe travels and good luck with her future.  I’m half tempted to put her in touch with some of my family and friends that I have down south, or at least go online to the southern cookbook I have so she can know some good fixings.  I still suggest, due to the stories from my sister, that since she won’t be too far from Atlanta, Georgia, that she should visit Coca-Cola world at some point.

    I also caught up with Britt’s parents, her sisters, and our friends Laura and Bethany.  I haven’t seen or talked to Bethany since my graduation party four years ago, at least as far as I can remember, and she has recently gotten married.  Marriage seems to suit her so far, and I’m happy for her.  When I sat down to talk to her, she said that she saw that I was coming and was hoping to catch me—have I been missed? Well, I guess that’s what happens when you’ve known each other since you were five or six.

  5. Sunday, I had gone to the movies with my dad, to see Man of Steal for my second time (dad’s first).  Most Superman movies suck the second time around in my opinion, but this one was still good the second time. And it may be the small town simple girl in me, but I honestly preferred, at least in way of sound, the normal theatre over IMAX.  I’m odd, I know, oh well…embrace it.

    By the way…Henry Cavil…you only seem to get sexier with age.  Yes, I said that.

  6. Oh, snap! I forgot, cherry of the week, if the week were a god-awful screwed up sundae, you know, the kind were people put crushed pineapple on it or something, was: MY COLLEGE DIPLOMA CAME IN THE MAIL.  Guess it’s official, concrete, this surreal-ness and transition of my life is true…no more school, and I have a degree.  Okay, what’s next?  Come on life, give me something good, or at least something to work with. Haha.

I pose this question, that is mainly due to extreme curiosity (I’m a very curious being, luckily, I seem to have more than one life), and also due to writing.  I was invited to three weddings this year summer (only one that I wasn’t able to attend), and multiple friends have talked about futures, which include this topic in it.  And, Bethany as an example, many people I’ve known are getting married.  I am currently writing the engagement scene for one of my pieces, so for months and now this summer, what is on my mind?  Engagements and weddings.  No, I don’t plan to get hitched any time soon, one, I have no guy, and two, I’m not ready to settle down.  I’m just curious, if you’ve ever gotten engaged and/or married: how did the engagement happen?  Where did you get married?  Anything funny happen, or sentimental?  The writer in me wants to pick your brains!

~Count your blessings, and whether things are bad or you’re doing well, find something good and hold on!

Much love!

~*~Alyse~*~

P.S. Folks- Please pray that I get my voice back, I am now completely mute. I guess hoping I wasn’t going to get laryngitis didn’t do anything.  I’m going a bit crazy here. <3