Tuesday, January 12, 2016

I'm Invincible

You say that I'm invincible
And my heart makes a sort of squeak
            In gratitude.
How'd I find a love who not only adores
            Every flaw, quirk, weird imperfection
And thinks so highly of me?
You say someone's got to,
Since I don't seem to myself.
I appreciate that the stars found me
Someone who's been through darkness
But breaks the clouds in mine.
I've pushed forward with obstinacy,
            Pride--
However, you pull me forward with
            Embracing moon shine.
A life raft on the tides;
You bring goodness that I don't give myself.
You say that I'm invincible,
When I feel the pull of my skin by my eyes,
The heaviness of headaches from too much stress,
            Overloads of anxiety kept bound
By tension in my muscles, tendons
Turning my small and fragile warrior's body
            Hard in knots.
I cringe at touch from aching joints that
            Are too stubborn to move with ease
And nerves extra sensitive to pressure.
By my emotions worn, my mind overworked
            With thoughts and mental processes.
I see everything that I have to fight through each day
            When I wake, that so many don't acknowledge
That I try to keep on the D and L as it all breaks me down.
You asked me just the other day
As to why I say
            That I am incredibly blessed to have you--
Well, you say that I'm invincible,
Even with my obstacles large and small.
You remind me of who I am,
That I don't have a quitter's soul,
And when I twitch to raise my hand in surrender,
You tell me you love me and whisper in my ear,
Just to remind me: I'm invincible.