Saturday, August 17, 2013

The Saturday Six (Eleven)



  1. Sunday, even though I had zero energy, I went to Geneseo to see We’re The Millers, even though it meant me sitting there by myself.  My dad went and saw 2 Guns.  Why didn’t he watch my movie? Because I told him he would not want to watch it with me…he’d probably like it, possibly, but after seeing Savages when that was in theaters, I’d like to avoid anything regarding my like in movies that happen to have sex and marijuana. Especially, when both movies involve the selling of it.  I’ve no problem with the way people choose to live their lives really, as long as it doesn’t harm another person, and they’re movies. However, my dad watching this with his youngest daughter is a very bad idea, and I didn’t want him to damper the movie I’d wanted to see.

    And how I enjoyed said movie!

    I have got to say, it was probably one of the funniest movies I’ve seen released in months, and my mute-self was wanting to laugh so hard, I even had a coughing spasm trying to.  I sat there in the theater, by myself, Goobers and popcorn with extra butter and salt in my lap, with an incredibly large grin upon my face.  Who would have thought that seeing Jennifer Aniston as a stripper would be the highlight to my day, let alone, the highlight in my life in days.  Thank you Millers.

  2. Tuesday was the two week marker of being a mute.  So…needless to say, I was overjoyed when Monday night, my sister sent over a dry erase board from the Dollar Tree in my nephew’s diaper bag. I’m extremely grateful for this gesture, because I was tired of hunting around to make sure I had scrap paper on me or typing in large font on my computer to communicate with people. I learned a long time ago, when I had laryngitis in high school (three times!) that these little boards are a god send.

  3. Even as a mute, I was tired of seeing only family members and being a hermit.  I was losing all sanity. I wanted to scratch the crap out of a certain individual.  I took a chance of completely draining myself again, possibly getting nauseated and risk passing out (did that last week, bad, very bad), and allowed my friend Chrissy to kidnap me and take me on errands with her.

    Unlike everyone else, she has no problem seeming like she is talking to herself.  She is quite a talker, and great at picking up subtle cues of communication.  I was also able to use a little bit of signing that I do remember from my childhood mixed in with using my handy dandy board, and heavens thank you for her friendship! My throat was feeling a tad better, and I was able to laugh—well, kind of.

    And apparently, I was quite amusing, even in my mute state, and not just to Chrissy.  Our waitress at Applebees got to read my order off my board, and another waiter thought that we were doing a trivia game until he found out I had no voice. They loved that I had a board. Weird, but good.

    I thank the stars every day for the friends I have in my life.  Friends are the biggest reason I survive, they are part of the why and part of the how.

  4. I got my hair trimmed this week, finally!

    It took almost a year, which makes me extremely paranoid to go so long without one.  However, I found a person I could afford and that I could trust.  Having both things work together is hard, and I trust very few near my hair, even fewer with something that could harm it, such as scissors. Woo-hoo!

  5. This month, I’ve done some BETA reading and editing for a friend.  I finished with what she has towards her larger manuscript that is a WIP.  I loved a lot of it, and for some reason, my writing friends who’ve had me look over scenes, etc for them this summer, have a way of playing with my emotions through their work.  Thumbs up, ladies. I consider that a good thing. And I loved her takes on some of the creatures involved, as well as how she tackled different aspects about life.  The more important things, such as the connections between people.  I think she truly has potential in what she’s creating.

  6. My sister, even in her frustrated state last night, got me a plate of fried dough and my favorite taffy (wintergreen) from our county fair. I practically inhaled the dough, I’d been craving all week. There’s something about fair food and summer, I swear.

~Count your blessings, and whether things are bad or you’re doing well, find something good and hold on!

Much love!

~*~Alyse~*~