Saturday, October 26, 2013

The Saturday Six Eighteen




  1. Saturday last week, my friend Chrissy and I got dressed up a bit, and went out for the night. Our first stop was the Batavia Downs since she wanted to play a voucher. I stood there entranced by the shiny lights that were everywhere.  I’m glad I don’t gamble, I’d be screwed due to the constant moving lights everywhere to distract me.  I’m too much like a cat at times, that the maze of all these lights and machines throw me off by myself.  I’m only a betting woman, when I know the answer in my heart, and follow my gut; that isn’t something that can be followed in the way of games. 

    After we were done out in Batavia, we came back to our hometown.  I can’t drink a lot right now, but that doesn’t matter.  We headed over to our local tavern, and enjoyed a live band, which did covers of country, some oldies, and some eighties. Around one in the morning, the band ended and the jukebox came on.  The tavern was a lot more crowded than when I went out the week before, and yet, still saw some... characters. It was a fun night though, and it was good to get out of the house.

    On another note, even though I cannot drink very much, we stopped at one bar in Batavia to see if they had karaoke (no, we didn’t get to sing though we wanted to), and since it doesn’t have a strong acidic base, I had a brown cow while there. Granted, I had to tell the bar matron how to make it, since she’d never heard of it. No, it’s not like a black Russian, though that’s what my friend thought. If you haven’t had one, it’s good. It’s pretty much an adult chocolate milk (so nicer to your system).  Combine Crème de Cocoa, milk, and ice, and voila!

  2. Sunday, while my mama had her hands full, she walked me through making my first meatloaf; had enough for a week. She thought that I was going to go “Ew,” about the feeling of the mixture in my hands, with how gooey it was.  I didn’t, instead, my mom got to listen to me squeal and laugh over the icy coldness of the beef even though it’d been defrosting since the early morning. Cold gooey guck became a meal. Haha. Turned out well though.

  3.  When I got home on Sunday, I was greeted by the smell of cinnamon and apples filling our whole house.  My mom was making homemade applesauce for the first time in a VERY long time. She had started an hour and a half before I got there, and when I walked in, was still slicing apples. It took her all day. One and a half five gallon buckets worth, at least. Damn, it was delicious. Most has been frozen for future consumption.

  4. I attempted to teach myself to sew this week, so I could darn one of my carpetbags or handbag, whatever you want to call them. Turns out, I did the over-under stitch, and it came out okay. I’m not planning on embroidering anything soon, though I’ve always wished I knew how. Nor do I plan on any sewing projects, because even though the stitches are holding, they are not the best. Haha.

  5. I had my first in person interview since I was seventeen, yesterday. The awesome part is that is was for subbing at the local elementary school, and my interviewer remembered me from when I was little. I was one of her first students for a gifted and talented children’s workshop that was during school hours.  I admit, the only thing I recall from that workshop was creating a flying cat hybrid animal. It’s nice though, that even though she only had me for a workshop in either the third or fourth grade, here I am at almost twenty-two, and she recognized my name and had it click when she saw my face. Granted, it was agreed upon, that with the red hair, I am often recognizable.  The interview seemed to be leaning in a positive way though, on the professional level.  And she understands why I decided not to go to college for education and would prefer to do something more in the human resources field after talking to me. So here’s hoping that I get the job, not just so I have some bit of income, but also so I can continue learning and gain experience to help me in the future. And in the process, give back a bit. It’ll definitely be interesting if I do get it, considering that the last time I spent in the elementary was when my sister went to high school there. I never got to do the switch over of buildings since the buildings themselves were switched the year that I was supposed to.

  6. Last night, I went to my friend Jamie’s, where we spent a few hours making Jello and pudding shots for a party that is this weekend. I estimate a last count of 250, and when I got home, fell into bed. I really hope that many people eat them, granted…I may get my hands on the cheesecake ones if possible.

It’s Halloween time folks, so I hope you’re having fun, if you’re smitten with the holiday.  I myself, plan to makeshift myself into a gypsy with the miscellaneous clothes and accessories that I own. Finally, I have an excuse to be my funky self without my family giving me the look of “we’re not related to you.” Haha. Enjoy yourselves! If you don’t plan on dressing up, watch a flick, trick or treat, or as we do every year since I was little, have cider and donuts together as a family at Halloween comes to a close.

~Count your blessings, and whether things are bad or you’re doing well, find something good and hold on!

Much love!

~*~Alyse~*~