Sunday, March 30, 2014

Your Court, This Field

You fell for another fake one, the fizz of it all soon turned to flat.
She played you as a worn out fiddle, when you've always wanted a violin.
Music plays, raps in your head, your heart on a rusted plate.
I'm here for you, your friend, tried and true.
After all this time, I think I've earned my stay--
I've always shown my real colors, everyone knows that what you see
            Is what you get, with layers of color to bloom, to beat.
I've quieted down though, the fight is not mine to hold onto on my own anymore.
If you want more than my hand in friendship, my hugs and my laugh,
You're going to have to see the truth inside, not run and hide.
The feelings are off, I learned the switch once before,
It's hard to pull--but I've done it. It's my corset to survive.
To suck up my pride, conceal it from my heart, my mind, your eyes.
Maybe if I stop. Maybe if I move forward. Push myself, and am just your friend--
You will finally learn. That you don't want the hay in the stack,

But the ruby in the diamond mine.